Friday, December 2, 2011

My Parents Birthdays

 Hello everyone!  My parents birthdays are only a few days apart, and we usually just celebrate them both on one day.  So that is what we did!  We had them over for dinner and sang Happy Birthday to them and had Dairy Queen ice cream cake and gifts. Yummy! Really, we spoiled them for an evening and made them feel special,
(at least I think we did). 



Well, my youngest, who is 9 years old wanted to make her grandparents an exploding box, but on a much smaller scale.  So with a little help from her Momma (Me) on the cutting of the boxes and the lids, she made her own rendition of what she thought an exploding box should be like.  I loved hers!  Much more simple and less work!  But weather it is simple or very detailed, they are all done as a labor of love.  I thought that it was so sweet of her that she wanted to put money inside of their boxes...her own money from her own wallet, $.20 to be exact!  It was all in pennies, too!  Then she put a small Milky Way candy bar in it too!  So cute, and they both loved it!


Then after that, my oldest daughter gave my Mom, handmade earrings, with red glass beads!  She loved them so much that she put them on right away and wore them the rest of the evening.  My Mom loves having a granddaughter who is her own custom jewelery maker!  LOL  My dad was a little jealous that she did not make him a pair of earrings or something!  LOL  Of course he was just teasing her.



Next, it was my turn to give my gifts/cards to my parents! First I gave my Mom her napkin fold card, (which I posted earlier this past month).  She loved the front very much and then when she opened it there was a lot of Oohhhhh's and Ahhhhhh's coming from both my parents!  She thought it was so beautiful!  And yes, she saw how it reminded me of a quilt and the quilt squares.  She even started to cry a little, on us. 




Then I gave my Dad his exploding box/barn.  He was to funny with it!  He acted like he didn't know quite what to do with it.  He almost seemed afraid to open it up!  His expression in the picture says it all!  He loved it...I think!  Later as he looked at it and read all the quotes and birthday messages, he said to me, "this had to of taken you a really long time."  He didn't believe that I made the straw bales myself.  I love the box because there is so much to look at and see.  And then I explained that when I grew up we had cows and chickens and a horse and cats and an apple tree and laundry was always hanging out on the line.  Then my Mom saw the clothes line and was a little flustered about the undergarments hanging on it!  That gave us all a good laugh! Each picture has some kind of sweet memory for me as I grew up and they helped make those memories for me. 



Anyways, I just wanted to share with you all, their response to their cards and the fun we had celebrating them and who they are.  I am so blessed to have such great, Godly, loving parents.

Well, thanks for taking a look at this and I hope that you have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. awww....what a touching and amusing story...sound like a great night...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete